Hi guys! So when I went to create my art journal layout, the back cover came right off my journal! Ha! So I am taking that as a sign that it is getting full, and also I took the opportunity to alter the cover since it was all torn apart. Here is my process for the cover:
So this journal was a spiral bound book from Barnes & Noble, and I already knew I was planning to change the cover. First I layered on gesso and washi tape.
Of course I also added a bit of modeling paste using my Heidi Swapp floral stencil, and then I layered color on top.
I am totally feeling the trend right now using black lines as a background, with florals layered on top. So I drew really rough black lines on the cover before adding my floral embellishment.
An interesting thing happened while I was working with my modeling paste: when I began adding color I was trying to remove some of the excess water and I discovered that the modeling paste wasn’t quite dry enough. So the paper towel left a bit of texture in the paste, and it dried that way completely overnight. I really like that unexpected effect, how about you?
For the back cover I also gessoed and washi taped the surface, and then I added some splotches of color. Once the colors were added, while they were still very wet, I rotated the page around in circles to get the circle effect.
The back cover is very simple and uncomplicated, and I love it almost more than I love the front. I love how the circles almost form a flower, and this is definitely a technique I plan to experiment with further!
Thanks so much for stopping by! I think I will probably create two more layouts in this journal and then call it done, and it will be time to start a new one! I am considering this one a tremendous success – I love every page and have learned so much from these processes. I will see you tomorrow for a Project Life update!